Monday, February 9, 2009

Bless me goddess, for I have slacked...

It has been nearly two weeks since my last blog and I wish I was in a better mood.

I had to work tonight, and the start of the night was, let's say, interesting. I was waitressing, and typically the first hour or so of my shift is slow enough to get some extra cleaning done. Another person was supposed to thoroughly clean the windows, and they didn't, so I volunteered. To do so, I had to (well, didn't "have to," but it made it a lot easier) sit on the table. My boss, Misty, came out to make a semi-smartass comment, which threw me off guard. I tried getting off the table, but it tipped a bit, the base snapped and it all went to hell. I did not fall, but it was a bit of a mess. Thankfully, Misty laughed at it since she was able to figure out a way to fix it.

The rest of the night was pretty standard. A few tables here and there, a few more just as I was about to clean, while annoying, not anything to ruin my night.

However, I've been feeling, for lack of a better word, underappreciated. Now, I know Misty and the other managers, except for one (that no one takes seriously anyway) actually does, indeed, appreciate what I do. I'm far from the perfect employee, I know this. But I can usually be counted on to do my job accurately, show up on time, and be pretty consistent.

The problem is that this is now the norm. We have several high schoolers who work at the Hut. Generally, I like them all. We get along quite well. But they're expected to be the goof-offs, so when they go through a night without screwing up too badly, "hip-hip hooray!" Last night I worked an extra two hours - making it a 10 hour day - to help the closing driver get prep done and help preventing what was already looking like a long night. I got a quick thank you from the closer, and that was about it.

Now, I appreciate thank you's as much as one can. I think those two words mean a lot. But again, it's not that odd for me to make sure certain things are done before I leave, no matter what the time is, so it was no big deal.

So, that's my whiny-assed work rant. I could go on about the above mentioned manager who no one takes seriously, but we'll save that for when we've got a juicy story about her. Oh yes, I've got one ready right now, but perhaps another time.

Tomorrow I don't have to work, which is a relief. But I have swimming class with Autumn in the morning and the Pagan discussion group in the evening. I'm very much looking forward to one whole day of nothing. Well, at least nothing scheduled.

Until next time, blah, blah, blah, some quasi-clever saying, etc.

No comments: