Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hey, Jane, get me off this crazy thing...

So, long story short, Daisy's teeth were just fine. The vet found multiple tumors. I don't have the heart to go through the whole thing, so I will simply direct you to Aaron's blog. He was the one to take her in to be put to sleep.

I've been crying all day on and off. I had bowling league tonight, which was little consolation.

The one positive thing that happened today was that in conversation, I discovered that my mom knows exactly which spiritual path I follow, and that she's OK with it. Several years ago, this topic came up - briefly - and my mom expressed her disappointment. My half-sister follows the same path, which she also knows, and Mom had nothing but positive things to say about her.

I'm wondering if my mom has since done some research. I know that, at the very least, she has seen me with the Earthfest crew, and of course, she attended Autumn's blessing ceremony, which was quite blatantly Pagan.

It's a relief to not have to sneak things around or use vague terms when it comes to my spiritual choices. At the very least, my family knows that this home is full of love. We are responsible, hard-working people who go day-to day normally like everyone else. We don't sacrifice goats, we don't travel on brooms (although, that would be cool), etc.

What a day. I keep looking back at the empty cage expecting a live creature to be there. She will be honored at Ostara, which appropriately celebrates new life with the symbols of eggs and rabbits. (sound familiar).

Rest in peace, Daisy. I hope you enjoyed your eight years on this earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'd probably like the portrayal of Easter in Neil Gaiman's "American Gods." She has nothing to do with Jesus or chocolate.