Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The "Hooray's!" and "Nay's" of 2008

It's not New Year's Eve yet, but I'll be working tomorrow, then enjoying a quiet evening at home with the hubby. So I'm getting my "work" out of the way tonight.

I like to end on a happier note, so I'll start with the "Nay's":

1. The passing of a few loved ones: I can't remember dates to save my life, but this year Aaron's grandpa Marshall and my great-uncle Elmer returned to Mother Earth. I also received news yesterday that an old friend from high school just lost his mother after a battle with cancer. Each life was unique and precious, and will never be forgotten.

2. Aaron's job rigmarole: I'm so proud of Aaron for leaving the hotel after seven years. He was not happy there and it took a lot of guts to go into uncharted territory for him. However, thanks to our wonderful economy, we've be hanging on by a thread. However, we've been blessed with a family who will never let us go without.

3. Two car accidents in one year: The first cause the demise of a car I loved very much, when Aaron skidded into a tree a mere seven blocks from our home. Four months later, some moron pulled in front of me crashing our new-to-us van, with myself and Autumn in the vehicle. Happily, no one seriously injured in either incident, but that's more than enough vehicular chaos for one year.

The "Hooray's":

1. The birth of our beautiful daughter Autumn: While her arrival was far from planned, Autumn has been developing into an amazing, strong, joyful little girl. We've watched her go from a little bundle swaddled in a blanket in oversized outfits, to laughing, to rolling over, to crawling, to standing, to walking. Now if only she would sleep through the nights. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. The development of a new friendship: Because of troubles I had breastfeeding Autumn early on, my friend and doula recommended that I call Robin, who I've met in passing, but never sat and talked with much. She was also pregnant at the time and already has a toddler girl. An amazing friendship has since developed and I'm blessed to have connected with Robin and her family.

3. Multiple successful projects: Because of full-time mommyhood, there are certain things that have been placed on the shelf until further notice, like performing in plays. However, this year I've been able to help with Theatre for Young Audiences' fundraisers. I've also continued my involvement with Earthfest in expanding the Kids Korner, and I look forward to doing so in future years. I started a screen printing/t-shirt design business that has only been able to sell items at Earthfest. I plan to continue the business eventually, but finances have put it on the back burner. I refuse to call this a failure.

4. Realizing I'm actually happy in my job: When I quit Pizza Hut six years ago, I could've sworn that it was once and for all. And here I am. For the first time I feel like I matter, and I know that there are still people out there who are as twisted as I am. My supervisors know the balance of having fun and laying down the law when the time is right. Dan, if you're reading this, you still suck, so don't get any ideas in your head. :)

5. The election of Barack Obama! 'Nuff said.

I know it's cliche to say this, but 2008 has been one fast-moving roller coaster. There have been many sleepless nights, but many more jaw-droppingly amazing moments. There have been many tears, but many more laughs. May peace, joy and new beginnings knock on your door in 2009. Just be sure to open the door and welcome it into your life.

No comments: